Compensation in Slip and Fall Accidents
Grocery stores are the site of many slip and fall accidents that can result in serious injuries. This causes lost time at work and, in some cases, expensive hospitalization. When Myrtle Beach residents and those from the surrounding area suffer a slip and fall, they know they can reach for the phone to call Morris Law at (843) 232-0944 in Myrtle Beach or (803) 470-4444 in Aiken because they know their claim will be in good hands.
Are Slip and Fall Accidents Common in Grocery Stores?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that more than 800,000 accidents happen every year due to a fall that requires hospital care. Many of these accidents occur in neighborhood grocery stores. Public buildings account for about 70 percent of all slip and fall accidents. In grocery stores, they may be caused by misting of produce, spills caused by a shopper dropping an item or one that’s fallen off a shelf, among others.
Suggestions for Documenting Slip-and-Fall Accidents
When someone falls in a grocery store due to negligence, doing the following can help establish a claim if your injury turns out to be serious. Without placing a claim for compensation, you may end up having to pay for your own medical expenses and lose money from being unable to work until your injury has healed. These suggestions include:
- Tell the store manager or person in charge that you want to file a report about your accident.
- Use a cell phone or borrow one to take photos of whatever made you slip or trip, which caused your fall. This is especially important if it was a wet substance because it will dry.
- Look around to spot video cameras in the store. If one of the cameras captured your slip and fall on film, it provides good evidence that it happened. In addition, a camera can film employees staying away from the area during their regular inspections. Photograph the location of the camera.
- Ask for contact information from anyone who saw the accident happen. A witness cannot only confirm there was a hazard but that it had been there for a while.
- Seek medical care by either heading to the emergency room or going to your doctor. If you are given instructions on care, follow them.
- Photograph your injuries because documentation is important.
- Keep a log about your injury and how you are feeling, and start with describing the accident and how it happened.
- Keep the receipts and expenses associated with your accident together.
- Keep the clothing and shoes you were wearing when the slip and fall accident happened in a bag as physical evidence of your injury.
Morris Law Firm
The Morris Law Firm is here to serve clients, helping them fight for their rights. No one should suffer both physical and financial harm after an accident. We will represent you with the insurance company and work to negotiate a fair settlement. If arriving at an agreement is not successful, we are adept at bringing the case to civil court. Call us at (843) 232-0944 to set up a free case review or contact us online. You are not expected to pay us until you win your case.