Horry County is the easternmost county in South Carolina, USA. As of 2019, the county has a population of over 350,000 people. Statistically, the state reports the sixth-highest car accidents in the whole country.
In 2016, South Carolina ranked third for the worst fatal collisions in the country. About 22% of their car accidents are caused due to speeding. South Carolina also ranks eighth for the most drunk driving incidents in 2017 and recorded the third highest DUI deaths.
COMMON CAUSES OF CAR ACCIDENTS
Some of the most popular causes of car accidents in South Carolina are:
- Aggressive driving – A lot of the drivers on the streets of South Carolina are often seen trailing at very high speeds, tailgating and even making very dangerous passes. There is a high disregard for traffic laws and that leads to a number of car accidents.
- Impaired driving – Impaired driving is one of the leading causes of crashes and accidents in South Carolina. Statistics show a high number of DUI and DUAC violations, as well as many drivers driving whilst intoxicated.
- Distracted driving – Fairly recently a report showed that driving while being on-call or texting caused about 133 crashes and 64 injuries.
- Inexperienced driving – A recent AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety study found that as many as 60 percent of teen accidents are caused by distractions such as using cell phones or interacting with other passengers.
- Lack of maintenance – It remains every car owner’s responsibility to ensure the vehicle is safe for the roads. State inspection exams are not enough – the owners need to make sure the car is well equipped to drive.
- Poor road infrastructure – Horry county has faced many issues with poor infrastructure. It is the responsibility of the governing body contracts the design and the companies that build the roads and highways to make sure the roads are safe for drivers. If the design is faulty, it can lead to multiple and recurring accidents.
These are the primary reasons why the state of South Carolina and Horry County in particular report such high numbers of car accidents and fatalities arising thereof. Not only can so many accidents lead to damage to property and loss of life, but can also have major economic impacts on the county. If the roads aren’t safe, many won’t be willing to move to and reside in the places, and will not bring in business and economic growth. Therefore, this has an impact that is much greater than what meets the eye. If not for yourself, then for others and the state, be a safe driver. Do not drink and drive – if you are under any kind of intoxication ask someone else to drop you off or get a cab.
Despite your precautions though if you have been involved in a car accident, make sure you report it to your lawyers, keep all documentation with respect to medical and repairs bills, and have substantiated evidence of the actual circumstances to help with the investigation.
CONTACT OUR MYRTLE BEACH AUTO ACCIDENT LAWYERS FOR HELP
Our Myrtle Beach auto accident attorneys have extensive experience handling all types of custody matters.
Call our office to schedule an appointment to discuss your auto situation with an auto accident lawyer in Myrtle Beach.