Myrtle Beach Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer
Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer in Myrtle Beach
Slip and fall accidents are such a common occurrence that they lead to more than 8 million ER visits in the U.S. every year. Slips and falls can happen to anyone at any point in time, but they are typically more common among older adults. And more often than not, seniors who experience falls tend to suffer harder and longer than the average person.
In fact, slip and falls, and related injuries are the leading cause of injury and death among seniors across the country. In South Carolina alone, falls lead to almost 200 deaths of elderly residents each year. Additionally, they are responsible for nearly 25,000 South Carolina ER visits each year – 7,000 of those resulting in hospitalization.
SLIP AND FALL STATISTICS
Every year, slip and fall accidents injure approximately 300,000 individuals, many of whom require hospital care. Seniors often slip on wet or slippery surfaces, and one-third of them go on to develop complications, some of them fatal. In fact, 20,000 deaths nationwide are linked to a slip and fall accident. This translates into 55 fatal accidents per day nationwide.
NATURE OF SLIP AND FALL ACCIDENTS
Of all accidents reported in public buildings, 70 percent are linked to a slip and fall, with grocery stores being the most common location. Experts warn that to decrease the high incidence of slip and fall accidents in commercial stores, a slip and fall prevention plan must be instituted and followed.
Slip and Fall-Related Injuries
Slips and falls can lead to many types of injuries and – in some cases – death. Broken or fractured hips are the most common of all injuries. Many seniors who suffer such an injury need ongoing, in-home or hospice care.
Other potential injuries include the following:
- Bruises, cuts, and abrasions
- Shoulder or neck injury
- Head injuries, including TBI, or traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord trauma, leading to possible paralysis, neurological or sensory issues
- Broken or fractured legs, ankles, spine, forearms, hands, pelvis, and upper arms
- Knee damage
Compensation for Slip and Fall Accidents
Grocery stores are the site of many slip and fall accidents that can result in serious injuries. This causes lost time at work and, in some cases, expensive hospitalization. When Myrtle Beach residents and those from the surrounding area suffer a slip and fall, they know they can reach for the phone to call Morris Law at (843) 232-0944 in Myrtle Beach or (803) 470-4444 in Aiken because they know their claim will be in good hands.
Common Places Slips and Falls Happen
Most fall injuries occur in the home – specifically in living rooms, bedrooms, and kitchens – with throw rugs and carpets being the main culprit. Falls are also common in the workplace, being a leading claim on workers’ compensation forms and a top cause of missed workdays. While less common, falls do occur in public settings, such as in grocery stores and parks. Hospital and nursing home patients also experience falls on a fairly regular basis.
Are Slip and Fall Accidents Common in Grocery Stores?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that more than 800,000 accidents happen every year due to a fall that requires hospital care. Many of these accidents occur in neighborhood grocery stores. Public buildings account for about 70 percent of all slip and fall accidents. In grocery stores, they may be caused by misting of produce, spills caused by a shopper dropping an item or one that’s fallen off a shelf, among others.
Warning signs are one way to avoid a slip and fall in a dangerous area. For instance, the produce area is frequently dangerous due to water accumulating in front of the stalls holding the produce. Grocery store owners often put down rubber pads in front of the produce bins to make the area less slippery. This helps, but on occasion, the water accumulation overcomes the protection the mats deliver. When this happens, warning signs can be erected telling customers to be extra careful until the area can be mopped.
The same goes for other substances such as liquid laundry detergent, shampoos, milk or eggs that may fall to the floor. Here again, warning signs should be used until the spillage can be cleared. The time it takes to find the spill is a critical factor. Stores should plan to search each section of the store every 30 minutes to an hour, looking for dangerous situations such as the area in front of the ice cube bag dispenser or the front door. Surveillance cameras can also be used to scan the store for dangerous situations.
Suggestions for Documenting Slip-and-Fall Accidents
When someone falls in a grocery store due to negligence, doing the following can help establish a claim if your injury turns out to be serious. Without placing a claim for compensation, you may end up having to pay for your own medical expenses and lose money from being unable to work until your injury has healed. These suggestions include:
- Tell the store manager or person in charge that you want to file a report about your accident.
- Use a cell phone or borrow one to take photos of whatever made you slip or trip, which caused your fall. This is especially important if it was a wet substance because it will dry.
- Look around to spot video cameras in the store. If one of the cameras captured your slip and fall on film, it provides good evidence that it happened. In addition, a camera can film employees staying away from the area during their regular inspections. Photograph the location of the camera.
- Ask for contact information from anyone who saw the accident happen. A witness cannot only confirm there was a hazard but that it had been there for a while.
- Seek medical care by either heading to the emergency room or going to your doctor. If you are given instructions on care, follow them.
- Photograph your injuries because documentation is important.
- Keep a log about your injury and how you are feeling, and start with describing the accident and how it happened.
- Keep the receipts and expenses associated with your accident together.
- Keep the clothing and shoes you were wearing when the slip and fall accident happened in a bag as physical evidence of your injury.
Consult a Personal Injury Lawyer
Landlords, homeowners, business owners, and employers are legally responsible for providing a safe environment and preventing risks. If someone slips or falls due to their negligence, he or she can be held liable for medical expenses, lost wages, and more.
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident due to someone’s negligence, consult a personal injury lawyer. He or she can help you file a lawsuit and get the compensation you deserve.
Morris Law in the Myrtle Beach Area
Morris Law has helped numerous clients with accident injuries over the years. If you were in an accident caused by a negligent person or entity, call us at (843) 232-0944 or reach out to us online. We will set up a free case review and help you protect your rights.
Morris Law LLC - Myrtle Beach Office
4589 Oleander Drive, Suite B
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577