Accidents may happen in the blink of an eye, but the impact of an accident can be long-lasting or even permanent. A slip in a parking lot, a fender-bender, or an accident on the job can leave you in pain, out of work, and staring down a pile of bills you cannot pay. If someone else's careless or reckless behavior causes your injuries, you may recover financial compensation—also known as damages.
If another party's negligence hurt you or took a loved one, you may recover damages for medical care, pain and suffering, and more. We recommend working with a lawyer with experience handling cases like yours.
Reach out to Morris Law Firm to learn how a Murrells Inlet personal injury lawyer can help with your case.
WHAT IS PERSONAL INJURY?
Personal injury is an umbrella term used for any type of bodily, emotional and psychological harm caused by another person or entity. The injuries are often the result of an accident but can be due to intentional harm, defective products or wrongful death. Here’s a more complete of personal injury types:
- Car Accident
- Tractor Trailers
- Slip and Fall
- Dog Bite
- Wrongful Death
- Motorcycle Accident
- Moped Accident
- Pedestrian Accident
- Medical Malpractice
- Aviation Accident
- Nursing Home Abuse
- Boating Accident
The insurance company of the at-fault party usually pays for the damages the injured party suffers. In some cases, the defendant lacks adequate insurance coverage, and your personal injury lawyer can help you receive the compensation you deserve. In cases where the insurer fails to provide compensation, your injury lawyer will take the matter to civil court.
The Morris Law Team Gets Results
We Handle Many Types of Personal Injury Cases
The team at Morris Law Firm handles all sorts of personal injury cases. If you were injured because of another party’s negligence, contact us today to learn how we can assist you.
Here are some examples of the types of personal injury cases we work on:
- Car accident cases for accidents caused by speeding, tailgating, failing to yield, running a red light, and other forms of negligent driving
- Truck accident cases for accidents caused by tractor-trailer and other commercial truck drivers
- Drunk driving accident cases for accidents caused by drivers under the influence of drugs and alcohol
- Slip and fall cases and other premises liability cases caused by negligent property owners
- Nursing home abuse cases, including physical, emotional, financial, and sexual abuse of nursing home residents
- Dangerous and defective product cases when a product that was defectively designed or manufactured (or did not come with adequate warnings or instructions) harms a consumer
- Workplace accidents such as slip and fall accidents, machinery injuries, accidents in a work vehicle, injuries from falling objects, and more
- Wrongful death cases if you lost a loved one in any incident caused by another person’s reckless behavior
How Much Does It Cost to Work With a Personal Injury Lawyer?
Sometimes, people assume that a personal injury lawyer in Murrells Inlet will cost too much money, so they try to take care of things independently. At Morris Law Firm, our attorneys work on contingency to make sure that our legal services are affordable for everyone. If you have questions about our payment structure, contact us today so we can answer them.
Working on contingency means taking our fees from the client's settlement or verdict award. In other words, you pay nothing if we lose—we only get paid if we win your case. We carefully select cases that have a strong chance of success. If you choose to work with our team, you will pay nothing upfront or out of pocket, so you risk nothing financially.
Benefits of Working With a Personal Injury Lawyer in Murrells Inlet
After someone else's negligence has harmed you, you will realize many benefits from working with a Murrells Inlet personal injury lawyer. Seeking damages from the at-fault party while recovering from your injuries can be difficult and stressful, especially if you have never gone through this process. Many people feel better working with a lawyer who knows the ins and outs of insurance claims and the legal process.
Attempting to get the compensation you deserve seems like it should be straightforward, yet it can be anything but. Insurance companies may deny your claim entirely or offer you much less than your case is truly worth. A lawyer with Morris Law Firm can help you by:
Investigating Your Case
Our lawyer will thoroughly investigate the incident that left you with injuries. We may interview you, visit the scene of the incident, identify and interview eyewitnesses, and more to find evidence of negligence by another party.
Gathering Evidence of Your Damages
The types of evidence we collect depend on your case. For example, we would collect police reports and traffic camera footage for a car accident case and interview doctors and other healthcare providers for a medical malpractice case.
Other types of evidence we may collect include:
- Security camera footage
- Photos of the scene
- Breathalyzer and other toxicology reports
- Cell phone records
Communicating With Insurance Providers
Dealing with insurance companies can cause you headaches, especially when recovering physically and emotionally. Spending hours on the phone and tracking down endless paperwork to confirm your injuries and expenses may feel like too much to take on. We can handle all communication with the insurance company, gather the necessary supporting documents, and file a claim for you.
Negotiating a Settlement
We will use proven tactics to negotiate a settlement with the at-fault party’s insurance provider. Court cases can drag on for a long time, and clients sometimes feel like their lives are on hold while their cases play out in court. Settling out of court allows you to resolve your case more quickly, get the compensation you deserve, and move forward with your life.
Taking Your Case to Court
We want you to get the best possible outcome. Sometimes an out-of-court settlement cannot achieve that. Our team will do whatever it takes to get the compensation you deserve for your injuries. Sometimes, that means filing a lawsuit and representing you in court.
Damages Available in a Personal Injury Case
Each case is different, and our lawyers will work with you closely to determine how much your case is worth. For starters, we can obtain records from every medical provider who treated you, consolidate your receipts, and consult our team of expert witnesses. You may recover:
Economic Damages in a Personal Injury Case
Economic damages compensate you for direct monetary losses caused by the incident.
These losses may include:
- Medical bills: You could recover the cost of medical treatments such as emergency care, diagnostic imaging, surgeries, follow-up appointments, prescription medications, rehabilitative therapy, and more.
- Future medical bills: If your condition requires future or ongoing treatment, you could recover those anticipated expenses.
- Home modifications: If your injuries have left you with a disability, you may need to modify your home to make it accessible. You could recover the cost of modifications such as widening your halls and doorways, adding ramps, and installing accessible bathrooms.
- Medical equipment: You could recover the expense of equipment such as braces, crutches, wheelchairs, motorized scooters, and more.
- Property damage: In a car or truck accident, your vehicle may be damaged beyond repair. A slip and fall accident can damage other valuable property, such as jewelry or watches. You could recover the cost of their repair or replacement.
- Loss of income: If your injuries prevent you from working temporarily or permanently, you could recover your current and future loss of income, such as salary, wages, tips, bonuses, and more.
Non-Economic Damages in a Personal Injury Case
Non-economic damages compensate you for intangible losses such as pain and suffering. Calculating the value of your pain is complicated, but our lawyers have experience determining how much these losses are worth financially.
You can recover damages if you:
- Require a lengthy recovery period
- Endure chronic pain
- Are permanently disabled or disfigured
- Develop a mental health condition such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, or depression
- Are housebound
- Can no longer participate in hobbies or activities you once enjoyed
- Experience a reduced quality of life in other ways
Wrongful Death Damages
Money can never replace your family member, but seeking damages for wrongful death allows you to hold the responsible party accountable for their negligent actions.
If your loved one passed away because of another party’s careless or reckless behavior, you could recover damages for:
- Medical treatment they received before passing away
- Funeral expenses
- Loss of financial support and benefits provided by the decedent
- Loss of experience, knowledge, and judgment provided by the decedent
- Loss of care, companionship, and protection of the decedent
- Pain and suffering experienced by the decedent’s family members
Positive Reviews for Morris Law Firm
At Morris Law Firm, we are committed to providing aggressive yet compassionate legal care to our clients. Suffering from a personal injury and then trying to get the financial compensation you deserve can physically and emotionally exhaust you. We understand how hard it is. That's why we try our best to remove the legal stress—so you can focus on recovery.
Every case is unique, and we can never guarantee results. However, we can guarantee that we will treat your case with the same care we provide to all our clients. Our client reviews are the best testament to our quality of service. For example, Tarwanda Smalls says that we treated her with compassion and professionalism, and Billy Buckley felt that we made her situation much easier for her to handle.
File Your Personal Injury Lawsuit Before Time Runs Out
South Carolina provides a limited amount of time in which you can file a lawsuit against the party responsible for your injuries. The deadline depends on your case and if an individual or a municipality caused your injuries.
Here are more details about the deadlines that apply to specific types of personal injury cases:
- Personal injury cases: You generally have three years from the accident date to file a lawsuit for personal injury.
- Wrongful death cases: You generally have three years from the date your loved one passed away to file a lawsuit for wrongful death. This date may be different than the date of the incident. For instance, if your loved one lingered in the hospital for some time before passing away, the clock starts on the date your loved one died.
- Nursing home abuse cases: You generally have three years from the date of the abusive incident or when you discovered the abuse—whichever is later—to file a lawsuit for nursing home abuse.
- Dangerous and defective products cases: You generally have three years from the injury from the defective product, or three years from the date you discovered that the defective product caused your injury, to file a lawsuit. South Carolina’s statute of repose requires that you file the lawsuit no more than eight years after you incurred the injury, even if you did not immediately realize that a defective product caused it.
- Medical malpractice cases: You generally have three years from the date of the injury, or three years from the date you discovered it was caused by medical malpractice, to file a lawsuit against the responsible healthcare provider. This date can be two years from the date of accident or death if the hospital is government funded and or considered a not for profit.
- Personal injury cases caused by a municipality in South Carolina: You generally have two years to file a lawsuit for personal injuries caused by a municipality such as a city, town, or county.
You may have more or less time than the deadlines listed above, depending on the circumstances of your case. A Murrells Inlet personal injury lawyer can determine which legal deadlines apply to your situation and ensure they are all met on time.
Contact Morris Law Firm Today for Help With Your Personal Injury Case
Our lawyers in Murrells Inlet can help you recover the compensation you deserve if someone else's negligence injures you or takes the life of a loved one. We are ready to help you recover damages for medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering, and more.
Personal injuries can happen at any time, so we are available at any time, every day of the year. Contact the Morris Law Firm today at (843) 466-4444 for your free consultation.
Murrells Inlet Personal Injury LawyerAddress: 11054 SC-707 ,
Murrells Inlet, SC 29576
Phone: (843) 466-4444