Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Aiken
Are you looking for legal support after a drunk driving accident left you injured? You've come to the right place. Morris Law advocates for drunk driving accident victims in Aiken and elsewhere throughout the state. Our attorneys are ready to build, manage, and resolve your case.
An Aiken drunk driving accident lawyer from our firm can do everything possible to secure the financial award you deserve. To begin your free case review, contact us now.
We've Recovered Millions for Drunk Driving Accident Victims in South Carolina
The following outcomes may not reflect your own case's resolution, but we're proud of the verdicts and settlements we've achieved for injured people.
Here are some results we've secured for car accident victims in SC:
- $2 million for a pedestrian involved in a collision
- $675,000 for a drunk driving accident victim
- $600,000 for a rear-end collision that caused broken ribs
- $300,000 for a car accident that caused a neck injury
- $220,000 for a car accident victim who needed back surgery
We'll consider the severity of your injuries and the total impact of your losses when evaluating what you deserve. We'll also consider the accident's effect on your future, especially if you can no longer work in the same capacity.
What Can the Team at Morris Law Firm Do for You?
Before we talk about your recoverable damages, we'd like to introduce ourselves. Morris Law Firm comprises a team of attorneys and paralegals with deep roots in Aiken area. We intend to serve you by:
Evaluating Your Case at No Obligation
You may have a lot of questions about your case's potential, including how to seek financial recovery. We're here to put your concerns at ease. When evaluating your case, we'll first listen to your account of events, including what happened before, during, and after the collision.
Next, you can share what injuries you suffered and how much compensation you hope to pursue. Spare no details when disclosing the details of your case with us-everything you share is kept between you and our team.
Investigating Your Drunk Driving Accident in Aiken
The key to any successful accident case is evidence.
Our attorneys need as much supporting information as possible to assert your legal right to damages, such as:
- The results of the at-fault driver's blood alcohol concentration (BAC) tests
- Photos and videos of your vehicle's damage
- Traffic camera footage of the accident
- Information from your healthcare team
- Data from accident reconstruction specialists
- Receipts, invoices, and billing statements related to your damages
Determining Fault and Liability
Fault may rest with the drunk driver. However, liability could rest with their insurance carrier. The South Carolina Department of Insurance reports that all motorists in the state must carry liability insurance, which should pay for another person's losses in an accident.
However, the drunk driver may not be the only party responsible for your losses. For instance, we could take action against the establishment that overserved them alcohol, or we could sue a parts manufacturer if a defective vehicle part led to your collision.
Calculating and Pursuing Your Losses
Our team will divide your losses into two categories: economic and non-economic damages.
Your economic damages are your losses with a clear financial value, such as:
- Medical bills
- Lost income, including salary, tips, and bonuses
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Funeral expenses (if you lost a loved one)
- Any out-of-pocket expenses related to the collision
Non-economic damages are your non-financial losses that relate to your physical and mental health.
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
The value of these losses depends on your situation, including the severity of your accident. We may recoup what you need either through insurance settlement negotiations or by filing a lawsuit.
Exploring Your Coverage Options
As noted above, every motorist in South Carolina must have auto insurance.
At a minimum, a motorist must have:
- $25,000 for one person's injuries in a collision
- $50,000 for all people's injuries in a collision
- $25,000 for property damage
Therefore, insurance could pay for some or all of your losses following an accident in Aiken. We can also evaluate your own insurance coverage when exploring your options.
Filing Your Insurance Claim
Insurance claims can quickly get complicated in the aftermath of a drunk driving accident. That's because insurance companies don't like to pay claims in general-let alone claims caused by drunk driving.
When pursuing your insurance claim, our team can:
- Review the applicable policy
- Prove fault, liability, and negligence
- Present the cost of your damages in a demand letter
- Communicate with the claims adjuster
- Protect you from bad faith insurance practices
- Evaluate any potential settlement offers
- Negotiate for the compensation you need
Filing Your Civil Lawsuit
In some cases, we may have to file a lawsuit and take your case to court to recover the compensation you deserve.
This requires us to:
- File your case within the statute of limitations
- Cross-examine witnesses
- Take depositions
- Use evidence to support your case
- Assert fault and liability
- Present your case's evidence
Morris Law Firm wants to guide your case to a fair conclusion. Our drunk driving accident attorneys in Aiken are here to support you every step of the way.
Get Legal Help With No Out-of-Pocket Costs
As your medical bills and lost time from work continue to increase, you may wonder if you can even afford legal help. Morris Law Firm works on a contingency fee basis, which means you pay nothing out of pocket for our services.
Instead, your personal injury lawyer gets paid from the settlement they recoup for you. So, put away your credit cards and checkbook-you pay nothing from your savings to get our legal help.
The Morris Law Team Gets Results
We get you the results you need and provide legal advice through the whole court process. Don't be unprepared when you could have one of the best legal teams out there to assist you. Reach out to us today to get your consultation.
Your Drunk Driving Accident Case Is a Time-Sensitive Matter
Your accident case has a filing deadline in South Carolina. State law generally gives you three years to file a personal injury or wrongful death case. That may seem like a long time to initiate legal proceedings. However, in the grand scheme of things, it's really not.
Here are some important facts to consider regarding your filing deadline:
- The South Carolina court system refuses to hear cases filed outside the three-year deadline.
- A lawsuit could be your only option for seeking recovery if the liable party's insurer refuses to settle.
- Many types of evidence, such as eyewitness testimony and debris at the accident scene, fade with the passage of time. Three years from now, do you think eyewitnesses will have a crystal-clear recollection of what happened? Will physical evidence really remain at the scene for that long?
By entrusting your drunk driving accident case to our attorneys in Aiken, you can help preserve evidence and protect your rights. Our team can track the filing deadline(s) in your case and ensure that we gather all necessary evidence within that timeframe. We aim to preserve your right to legal action through all avenues. However, we can't do that without learning about your circumstances first.
Things to Do After a Drunk Driving Accident in Aiken, SC
Morris Law Firm can manage everything your drunk driving accident case requires from start to finish. However, you may ask: "What can I do to promote my case's outcome?" Above all else, we encourage you to seek medical attention. We not only care about your physical recovery, but we know that seeking medical care can likely boost your case.
When it comes to other post-accident measures, we suggest:
Writing Down Your Version of Events
Our team can use your testimony to verify certain aspects of your case, such as where and when the accident happened. Your testimony may also provide insight into how much you can seek for pain and suffering.
Referring Any Settlement Offers to Your Aiken Car Accident Lawyer
The insurance company may offer compensation in the immediate aftermath of your accident, hoping that you'll settle quickly. They don't want you to know the true cost of your damages, including anticipated care costs. Offering a fast, lowball settlement helps them protect their bottom line.
Our car accident lawyers always have your best interests at heart. When we evaluate settlement offers, we ask:
- Will this settlement cover your future losses, such as loss of earning capacity?
- Have you reached maximum medical improvement?
- How severe was the accident?
- Do your injuries affect your relationships with others?
- Were there other parties involved in the collision?
A settlement offer should reflect how the accident affected your quality of life. We can evaluate potential offers to confirm if they do.
Leaving All Insurance-Related Communications to Your Lawyer
The insurance company may ask you for a recorded statement immediately after the collision-even while you're still in the hospital. They hope you'll share information about your case that could discredit your financial recovery options. Anything you share other than basic information isn't in your best interest.
When you partner with an Aiken drunk driving accident lawyer from Morris Law Firm, we can respond to all the insurance company's inquiries. We can also supply information needed to bolster your claim, consult with experts on your damages, and evaluate the liable party's policy. Simply refer all case-related emails, phone calls, and text messages to us, so you can focus on healing.
Keeping Everything Related to Your Case
There's no such thing as useless information in a drunk driving accident case. Even the smallest piece of information could mean the difference between a successful claim and months of endless negotiations.
We suggest that you keep:
- All documentation related to your damages, such as receipts and pay stubs
- Emails between yourself and the liable party's insurer
- Photos of your vehicle's damage
- Dashcam footage of the collision (if you have it)
- A copy of the accident report
- The names of any law enforcement officials who spoke to you after the collision
During your free case review, we'll discuss other types of information that could support your right to damages.
Following Through With Your Doctor's Orders
You won't believe the lengths that some insurers will go to deny valid claims. They may even contest that because you didn't follow through with medical care, you made your condition worse.
Therefore, it's crucial to follow through with every detail of your treatment plan, such as:
- Undergoing recommended surgeries
- Remaining in a long-term care facility
- Taking prescribed medications
- Limiting your physical activity
- Taking time off work
- Attending all doctor appointments
Will the Other Driver Go to Jail?
Perhaps-South Carolina law prohibits drunk driving. If found guilty of this offense, the other party could face jail time, fines, and other penalties. A conviction in criminal court does not award compensation for your losses. However, the other party's conviction could play a vital role in your pursuit of financial recovery. It could show that because the other party drove while intoxicated, you have injuries and related losses.
How Long Does It Take to Seek Damages After a Drunk Driving Accident?
How long it takes to seek damages after a drunk driving accident in Aiken depends on various aspects of your situation, including:
- Your estimated recovery period
- The cost of your damages
- The other party's insurance company
- The availability of certain evidence
- The severity of your condition
- Whether you're filing a wrongful death case
- Whether there are any allegations of fault against you
Morris Law Firm can work toward a timely outcome of your personal injury or wrongful death case and combat any challenges that impede your case's progression.
How Much Can I Recover Through a Personal Injury Claim or Lawsuit?
Again, how much you can recover through a claim or lawsuit depends on many factors unique to your situation. South Carolina does not limit how much you can request from the liable party. So, you can request anything related to your accident and injuries. The accident attorneys at Morris Law Firm can fight for everything you need.
What Happens if the Other Party Accuses Me of Causing the Collision?
Even if the other driver was clearly intoxicated when the accident happened, their insurer could still blame you for the accident. If this happens, don't worry-we're here to advocate for you. We can use your case's evidence (such as the accident report) to assert your right to compensation. We can also cite the other motorist's arrest records, available traffic camera footage, and eyewitness testimony to assert your role in the collision.
Begin Your Free Case Review With Morris Law Firm
Do you have questions about partnering with a personal injury lawyer in Aiken? Morris Law Firm wants to champion your legal rights.
Many times, drunk driving accidents take place at night or on weekends. You want to get legal help right away, while evidence is fresh. As a 24/7/365 law firm, you can reach us at any time.