Leading Causes of Injury Accidents
Injury accidents take a toll on people, inflicting pain and financial loss. They are the third leading cause of death in the United States behind heart disease and cancer, killing 173,040 each year. Many injured people file a personal injury claim to try and recover damages.
So, what types of unintentional accidents are injuring and killing Americans? They range from car accidents to slips and falls to medical errors. Let’s examine the types of accidents that occur most frequently.
The most common type of personal injury is a car accident. Approximately six million auto accidents happen annually, breaking down to 16,438 crashes every day. Of these, 1.6 million involved cell phone usage. Yearly, 37,000 people die in a car accident, equaling 90 per day.
If you have been injured in an auto accident as a driver, pedestrian or passenger, you have the right to file a claim against the negligent driver. Alternately, if a defective car part or design caused the accident, your personal injury lawyer can file a claim against the car’s manufacturer.
Some reasons a car accident happens are:
- Drunk or drugged drivers are frequent reasons why a car accident occurs.
- Distracted drivers who put their focus on something other than the road are quickly becoming the number one reason for car accidents. Distractions usually involve cell phone usage, adjusting the radio or climate controls, and looking for something in the vehicle. Often, a driver can be distracted by an accident or a police stop.
- Defective auto parts such as brakes or tires cause many car accidents.
- Speeding is another leading cause of auto crashes. By driving over the speed limit, the driver is heightening the force of impact, assuring more severe injury accidents. Pedestrians are especially affected by speeding vehicles. The higher the speed, the greater the injury.
- Reckless driving results in many car collisions. This is commonly seen at intersections when a driver races through a red light without concern for those already in the intersection.
- Fatigued driving is becoming all too common today as people hold down more than one job to care for their families. Nodding off for even a few seconds can lead to a horrific collision, involving multiple vehicles.
- Aggressive driving is frequently seen, especially on the highways. An aggressive driver will change lanes without looking to see if another vehicle is in the way.
Slip and Fall Accidents
Although homeowners are required to maintain a hazard-free property, most serious slip and fall accidents occur in commercial establishments. For example, when a grocer does not take steps to keep the floors dry and to use protective mats in front of produce areas and ice chests, a patron can slip and break a bone or suffer a head injury.
While intentional harm is a personal injury without negligence on the part of the perpetrator, negligence can be involved. For instance, the owner of a commercial establishment should make an effort to have the outside area well-lit for nighttime customers. This could be a grocery or drug store as well as a parking garage. If the owner fails to provide deterrents to assault, the injured party can file a claim against the assaulter and the owner.
Medical personnel injuries can result from wrongful diagnoses, prescription mistakes, surgical errors or nursing negligence. These types of personal injuries are complicated and require the insight an experienced personal injury lawyer can provide. In some instances, the negligent professional is an employee of the hospital. This lets the injured party file a lawsuit against both the medical professional and the hospital.
Homeowners and businesses alike are required to keep the premises safe for those who enter. Aside from slip and falls and poor security, there are other types of premises liability such as:
- Failure to check the wiring in a swimming pool can lead to an electrocution. This is more common than many people realize and occurs in community pools, those at hotels and motels and private residences.
- Failure to ensure that paths are clear of debris and that steps are clear leads to many premises liability cases.
- Failure to maintain gas stations to prevent leakage and fires are a source of accidents.
If a manufacturer fails to provide a safe product, they can be held responsible for any injuries or deaths the product causes. Apart from auto defects, problems with furniture design and electronic devices are also sources of injuries and deaths every year. The consumer has a right to expect a safe product and the right to file a personal injury claim to secure compensation for damages.
A wrongful death claim can be considered a personal injury since the at-fault party usually is negligent and sometimes acts intentionally to harm another person. The family of the deceased loses the support and love of the decedent and seeks to obtain justice and closure by filing a wrongful death lawsuit.
In some cases, if the decedent lived for a time before passing, the family can file a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault party. This is called a survivor action since the injury survives their demise. The family files the personal injury lawsuit on behalf of the decedent to obtain the compensation he or she deserves.
Morris Law Firm – Myrtle Beach and Surrounding Areas
Whether it is a survivor action, a car accident or a slip and fall, an injured party has the right to obtain financial justice for their injuries. My staff and legal advocates at the Morris Law Firm believe that the injured party should not have to bear the financial cost of an accident they did not cause. Call to schedule a free case review at (843) 232-0944 in the Myrtle Beach area. You can also contact me online. Let us help you obtain the compensation you deserve, and give yourself time to heal.