South Carolina Semi-Truck Accidents
Semi-truck accidents happen every day as drivers carry goods across the country and through the southeast corridor. As more companies are using semi-trucks to haul their wares, the risk of traffic collisions increases. For example, over the last decade, the number of fatal trucking accidents has increased by roughly 12 percent, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Let’s look at the reasons for semi-truck accidents, why and where they happen and how a Myrtle Beach truck accident lawyer can help.
The Law Firm of Jeff Morris
Semi-truck accident victims have learned that Jeff Morris is an experienced ally in their quest for compensation. They are impressed by his diligence in securing the compensation they deserve, along with his compassion and hard work on their behalf. Call us at (843) 232-0944 to schedule a free case review. If you can’t come to us, we will do a virtual or telephonic call. If it is easier for you, contact us online.
Causes of Semi-Truck Accidents
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, the following are reasons semi-truck accidents occur:
- 19 percent of all big truck accidents are linked to unfamiliarity with the route.
- 27 percent of all truck crashes are due to brake problems.
- Seven percent of big rig accidents are caused by fatigue.
- Pressure on the driver to get his or her load to the destination in less time caused 10 percent of all crashes.
- Truck driver aggressiveness caused 5 percent of all semi-truck accidents.
- Tire problems accounted for 3 percent of all truck accidents.
- Illegal substances were involved in 0.4 percent of truck accidents.
Semi-Truck Accident Injuries
Significant and costly injuries occur when a passenger vehicle is involved in a truck accident. Such injuries are often fatal or lead to permanent disabilities. Some of the most frequent injuries include:
- Spinal cord injuries: Such injuries frequently cause permanent paralysis. The location of the injury determines the degree of paralysis. For instance, an injury in the cervical region of the spinal cord can cause permanent, life-threatening problems. Injuries below this can be temporary or permanent and may be partial. The injured party usually needs assistance, may require a long period of medical care and rehabilitation or need to be cared for at home or in a long-term facility.
- Traumatic brain injury: These can range from a concussion to hemorrhage into or outside of the brain as well as diffuse axonal injury. Brain injuries usually require long hospital stays and surgical intervention. Due to the nature of the treatment needed for TBIs, the cost can be astronomical.
- Abdominal injuries: These range from contusions to damage to the internal organs. In some cases, risky surgery must be performed to save the person’s life.
- Chest injury: Injury to the heart and lungs as well as broken ribs are frequently seen.
Compensation in Semi-Truck Accidents
Anyone who is injured due to the negligence of another has the right to obtain compensation for the financial loss they experience. This includes medical costs, lost wages and their pain and suffering. The cost of rehabilitation and at-home care are also factored into the final damages. If the person is permanently disabled and can no longer work, the monetary loss they experience is also included.
How a Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help
In a complicated semi-truck accident, you need the legal assistance a personal injury lawyer can provide. Large semi-trucks are often owned by big trucking companies with high insurance coverage. Even solo truck drivers carry hefty insurance. There are many layers of investigation that lead to the compensation you deserve. For instance, your injury lawyer will investigate if the company or trucker maintained the vehicle as required by law and whether other trucking rules were adhered to. Logs will be checked for mistakes or intentional errors.
Your personal injury lawyer will check to see if the trucker was involved in similar accidents or had a history of substance abuse. Witnesses will be interviewed and the police report examined for mistakes. In addition, your truck accident lawyer will check to see if road defects were present, causing the accident.
Morris Law Firm in the Myrtle Beach Area
Don’t try to go it alone if you are involved in an accident with a semi-truck. Give the lawyers at the Morris Law Firm a call at (843) 232-0944, or reach out to us online. Studies have shown that having an attorney will result in higher compensation for your accident injuries.